Summer is a splendid time. There’s open air, summer barbeques, and tons of sunshine; but with all that comes tons of opportunities for issues to arise. We’ve compiled our favorite tips for staying safe in the season ahead!
Fireworks Safety: The 4th of July is right around the corner but that isn’t the only summer holiday where fireworks are used – and even one holiday is enough to warrant a safety list!
- Always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Make sure to stay at a safe distance away from active fireworks.
- Keep a supply of water on hand with easy access to more if needed.
- Don’t leave fireworks out in the sunshine. Store in a dark, cool place.
- Clean your grill before using for the season.
- Perform standard maintenance before your first grill (no leaky hoses, etc.)
- Never leave a barbeque unsupervised.
- Never grill indoors and keep the grill in the open air.
- Use long-handed tools to reduce the risk of burning.
- Let coals cool completely before disposal.
- Keep tabs on local weather conditions.
- Use the buddy system.
- Have life-jackets on hand – and use them.
- Keep an eye out for lake, sea, and ocean life.
- Don’t dive headfirst.
- Review safe boating practices with your family.
- Don’t post publicly on your social accounts (so that people who aren’t friends with you) can see you aren’t at home.
- Tell your best friend or local family members where you’re going and when you’ll be back (especially if you’ll be out of cell reception).
- Ask a neighbor, relative, or friend to check on your house and bring in your mail periodically.
- Request a hold on all mail, newspaper, and magazine subscriptions.
- Increase your water intake.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun
- Utilize sunscreen when appropriate.
- Make sure your pet collar & microchip is up-to-date.
- Ensure fresh water is available throughout the day (consider multiple bowls – indoor/outdoor).
- Take your pets for walks before festivals and celebrations to help calm them down.
- Check your property perimeter and fencing to ensure no escaping and replace/repair as needed.
- Consider leaving the television or radio on to drown out any fireworks or other loud noises.
It’s summer times, so let the good times roll – and then best way to keep them going is to keep safety high in our minds!
new this week from WINDERMERE MERCER ISLAND
EXCEPTIONAL 2014 AMERICAN CLASSIC HOME
$2,575,000 • 4212 88th Ave SE, Mercer Island • MLS# 1303299
6 Bedrooms • 4.25 Bathrooms • 4,280 SQFT • 14,622 Lot Size
STUNNING NEW CONSTRUCTION BY FRIEDMAN HOMES
$2,300,000 • 3441 77th Place SE, Mercer Island • MLS# 1300718
5 Bedrooms • 4.5 Bathrooms • 3,200 SQF • 7,455 Lot Size
SERENE & PRIVATE ON MERCER ISLAND
$1,225,000 • 6100 94th Ave SE, Mercer Island • MLS# 1301747
5 Bedrooms • 2.75 Bathrooms • 2,920 SQFT • 16,480 Lot Size
LAKE BALLINGER ESTATES
$335,000 • 23403 Lakeview Drive #I-202, Mountlake Terrace • MLS# 1301208
2 Bedrooms • 1 Bathroom • 1,029 SQFT
CAREFREE LIVING IN KIRKLAND, WASHINGTON
$289,000 • 12415 NE 0130th Ct. #H201, Kirkland • MLS# 1301731
2 Bedrooms • 1 Bathroom • 863 SQFT
ABOUT WINDERMERE MERCER ISLAND
We earn the trust and loyalty of our brokers and clients by doing real estate exceptionally well. The leader in our market, we deliver client-focused service in an authentic, collaborative and transparent manner and with the unmatched knowledge and expertise that comes from decades of experience.
© Copyright 2018.